PWCforums.co.uk Homepage

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A SERIOUS SAFETY REQUEST-PETROL & SPARKS

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bean View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Imagewerx.co.uk

Joined: 15/Jul/2004
Location: West Sussex
Status: Offline
Points: 12739
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A SERIOUS SAFETY REQUEST-PETROL & SPARKS
    Posted: 31/Aug/2006 at 9:14am

You've probably all read that a couple of the members on here have recently had potentially very dangerous accidents involving their skis and surplus petrol being ignited by a spark caused by shorting the battery positive terminal to earth.Please don't forget that it is the vapours mixed with air that these flammable liquids give off that actually burn,so anywhere that there is petrol ouside of a closed container is an accident waiting to happen unless we observe all the proper safety procedures.

1.If the battery doesn't come with protective insulating covers over it's terminals,get some fitted,they cost next to nothing,but could save thousands of pounds worth of ski,and your life.

2.When you're working on the ski,always disconnect and remove the battery first until you actually need to start the engine.This only takes about five minutes or less to do,and really isn't as much of a chore to do as some people make out.

3.If you need to use jump leads to start your ski (as well as observing the proper procedure to prevent damage to any electronics that some may have),always connect the positive first at the battery terminal,and then just in case there are any sparks when you connect the negative,do this as far away from the tank as possible,i.e.the bolts at the back of the head.

4.DO NOT SMOKE ANYWHERE NEAR THE SKI WHILST WORKING ON IT.I am still amazed how many times I see people putting petrol in their skis and have a lit cigarette in their mouth at the same time,this contravenes probably about half of the health and safety regulations in the book.Next time you fill up,look from low down and notice how big the cloud of vapours is that gathers around the filler pipe,again all mixed with air.

5.As with anything involving flammable liquids,always work in a VERY well ventilated area,and be aware of all the other potentially dangerous liquids around your working area,not just petrol.

6.The best way to put a fire out is to starve it of what it needs most,and that is Oxygen.If you can get the hood back on,the flames will use up the air inside quicker that it can be replenished,and go out very quickly,or even better is a nice thick blanket.And hopefully every workshop will have a working fire extiguisher handy,and do make sure you have the right type to put out the type of fire (i.e. chemical etc) that could possibly happen.

If anyone has anything to add to this,please let me know.

Back to Top
Spode View Drop Down
Expert Skiers
Expert Skiers
Avatar

Joined: 18/Oct/2005
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 397
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/Jan/2007 at 11:00am
I%20took%20every%20precausion%20and%20I%20got%20a%20little%20back%20lash%20from%20a%20Polaris...Respect%20to%20the%20hot%20stuff-Nice%20one%20Bean
 
I took every precausion and still got some back lash from a Polaris....Respect for the hot I think!!  Nice one Bean good info.
Stand up + Surf = Motosurf....Its the way forward!!!!!!!!!!
www.moto-surf.uk
wwwlokicustoms.co.uk
www.bognorvegascrew.net
Back to Top
Mongoose View Drop Down
Expert Skiers
Expert Skiers


Joined: 08/Feb/2007
Location: Wales
Status: Offline
Points: 489
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mongoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/Feb/2007 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Spode Spode wrote:

I%20took%20every%20precausion%20and%20I%20got%20a%20little%20back%20lash%20from%20a%20Polaris...Respect%20to%20the%20hot%20stuff-Nice%20one%20Bean
 
I took every precausion and still got some back lash from a Polaris....Respect for the hot I think!!  Nice one Bean good info.
Back to Top
michal View Drop Down
Skilled Skier
Skilled Skier


Joined: 07/Aug/2011
Location: Kent
Status: Offline
Points: 47
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Sep/2011 at 11:14pm
this exact thing happened when my friend was using my sitdown ski, he left it in 35+ degrees for about an hour with the fuel pump on. came back with his kid, they started it up and it litrely exploded. luckily there were no serious injuries. now we take precaution in what we do and switch.
Back to Top
gymjunkie View Drop Down
+10000
+10000
Avatar
Gymjunkie

Joined: 27/Feb/2005
Location: Essex
Status: Offline
Points: 13925
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gymjunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/Sep/2011 at 11:43pm
How the hell/why would you drag a thread up from 2006 ?? An almost impossible search to do..VERY suspect
Back to Top
Janker View Drop Down
+5000
+5000
Avatar

Joined: 29/Apr/2004
Location: West Midlands
Status: Online
Points: 5975
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/Sep/2011 at 8:10am
Sticky?
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.406 seconds.