penjpet

BLOCK FEN, MEPAL CAMBS

Just to let you know that the lake at Mepal is now open for the season, we were up there this afternoon to pay our membership and was told its open as from today.  I think day launches are 40 and membership is 450.

Lets hope for a long hot summer!Smile

Yes, the  fees may seem a bit steep, but compared to others it is a bigger cleaner lake with less restrictions.  Debbs and Dan who run the lake rent it off the landowner and their rent has increased this year, so naturally they have to pass some of the costs on.  At least at these prices it deters the free ad brigade with their knackered ski, cheap shorty and 1 float jacket that doesn't fit properly ruining our day.

I for one am very grateful to have a big clean lake to launch within 40 mins of home and certainly get our monies worth each year.  If this lake shut we would no longer keep our ski, after 15 years of doing so, as the coastal alternatives for us are not appealing at all, any of you who have jet skied in West Wales would know where I'm coming from.

Anyway the Lake's number is 07748030306.  The choice is yours, but with a serious shortage of decent places to launch you'd be silly not to at least give it a try.

Hopefully see you there!

Hi Fountain,  I think the 450 is for 1 ski plus two people, I've been looking at some other membership prices in the area and Tallington are charging  500 for standups and 600 for sitdowns, I know that they do have better facilities i.e. showers, but the lake there is far smaller plus there are many restrictions, ie RYA, Helmet, etc etc.

That must have been one of the rare days we were not there!.  Actually that shot looks older than the current Google Earth one, as you can see the gap that you used to be able to ride from the smaller lake to the bigger one.  Because of work commitments last year we were only managing to get up there about once a week, this year things have changed and am intending to get up as much as possible, at least a couple of times a week if not more, providing fuel prices doesn't increase even further!  I'm 50 next summer and gonna make the most of life before I get old!

Lets hope you get a chance to come up to the lake a bit more, we are very lucky in the fact that we we work from home for ourselves (seperate businesses) so if the work is done can get away when we want.  Over the years we have averaged over 100 hours on our sit down ski's, not so much on the standup as now we have the boat as well tend to alternate the ski with the boat.  We've just put a Jobe Addict 1.3 tower on it and can't wait to try it out, but looking at the 5 day forecast will have to wait a little longer.

Yes, for the past two years we have only ever launched on the big lake, I'm not sure exactly which days the boats are allowed on, check with Debs or Dan.  Not many boats go there so most days its ski's only.   Or sometimes boats in the morning ski's afternoon/evening, but as I said have word with D & D.  Many times we have the whole lake to ourselves.

Hi guys,newbie to this forum,i am from the Peterborough area and didnt know of the lake at Block fen,we have been using a lake at Baston fen for the past few years,but this year the owner has decided to run a membership only fee of £650!!.At present there are no facilities at all and the club house that is there,has been reduced to a pile of ashes.There are plans to bring the lake up to date by the start of the season,but nothing yet!.

The membership fee for Block fen seems a lot more reasonable and with the option stilll of day launch,do you have to pay a launch fee at all on top of membership or is it a one off payment for the year?

The membership fee is a one of fee for the season and includes unlimited launches, if you bring several friends they may have to pay an extra fiver each.  There are not much facilities appart from toilets, last week some scum bag stole the copper pipes so they are replacing these with plastic ones and should be done soon, this was after the end of last season when the toilets were rammed and partially destroyed and had to be rebuilt!.

The membership fee is a one of fee for the season and includes unlimited launches' date=' if you bring several friends they may have to pay an extra fiver each.  There are not much facilities appart from toilets, last week some scum bag stole the copper pipes so they are replacing these with plastic ones and should be done soon, this was after the end of last season when the toilets were rammed and partially destroyed and had to be rebuilt!.

[/quote']

I think I am correct in saying you don't get 12 months skiing there for a years membership..It used to be 7 or 8 months, you might want to factor that in to your skiing costs