Hi all, 

Looking at purchasing my first Ski! I hope I am posting in the right place? 

Found a nice Yamaha Waverunner Xlt 800? Would you recommend this? I don't have a massive budget?

Was hoping for a four stroke but I don't think I can really afford one. Any ideas of affordable makes and models? I'm around the Exeter/ Devon area. Absolute Max budget £4K for ski and trailer. 

As you may have probably already gathered I have many many questions, but I will just ask the key ones for now. Any help would be much appreciated. I have been reading forms and articles so I have an idea of what I am getting myself into, but was after some reassurance from people in the know.  

What are the essentials? Well apart from a Ski and trailer? Trying to get an idea of what I will need to purchase.  I am aware of the following from other forms etc. Anything I have missed? 

Insurance,

buoyancy aid/ vest, Wetsuit, Wetsuit boots, floating glasses for sunny days? 

flare, air horn/whistle, mini anchor? Fold up floating paddle? 

Light bord for trailer, ratchet straps? Rope for lunching and recovery? 

What do you need for towables and water toys? Stinger?  tow rope? 

Finally where are the best places to Ski near me? Looking for an easy first time launch. Is Teignmouth, Polly steps my best bet? 

Sorry for the long message... Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi and welcome I will try and help and go through the list.

Suns out Easter bank holiday next week, so prices are up probably £500 from last month..........

xlt are good skis 2 stroke and getting on a bit now must be well over 10 years old now, and £2k-2.5k ish depending on hours and condition for £4K I wpuld expect you find a 4 stroke vx1100 (one was for sale recently on a Facebook group for £3300 and didn't sell for months might have been that particular ski...

how much riding experience do you have? Recommend you do an RYA PWC course before buying if possible do it locally and you will find launch sites  easier (there aren't any great websites I know of, couple of Facebook groups) And will answer all of your questions while teaching you some skills and get you riding.

https://www.jetskiandpowerboattraining.co.uk/rya-courses/rya-jetski-courses/

http://www.cornwallwaverunnersafaris.co.uk/activities/rya-personal-water-craft-courses/

Only thing you missed in "essentials" is fuel fuel fuel lots and lots of fuel!

sun cream, water (drinking), dry bag for phone and mobile phone. Will need straps for trailer (do not rely on winch) strap front and rear to trailer through the eyes in the hull.

flares etc are all recommended  paddle great but going as part of a group makes life much easier if there is an issue.

This is a decent buy as long as it's been serviced and has no issues (engine alignment is true and the pto doesn't leak

Edited by HDAV

Thanks for you comment! A massive help! The spark is definitely a Ski I have been looking at. 

I wasn't so worried about fuel originally because I read a thread that said a ski uses around 4-5 GPh. However recently I have seen other people on Skis within my budget Skis are getting through 10-12 gph+! I know it massively verys on riding style conditions and the exact ski but what are some average figures for fuel an hour? I think it's around £5.5 a galon at the moment I could be wrong. How much is the fuel an hour roughly going to cost? 

Again any help would be greatly appreciated. 

My ski is a thirsty supercharged but all skis have a tank that lasts around 1 hour flat out, mine has a safe range of about 60 miles cruising  under 5mpg rarely out on that water over 3hours running time better skis are able to do 90 miles mine should be around 75 but it eats fuel not sure why exactly.

Most trips are £60 of fuel can do £100 in a day.......

sparks in in the other hand do £30 a day......

Edited by HDAV

Thats one of the most useful things I have read on Skis so far! And the spark is becoming ever more appealing, despite costing quite a lot more upfront than I had originally planned. 

Lots of food for thought, thanks again! I will be back with more questions soon.

Sparks are great but they are not perfect, they are cheap, light, easy on fuel great fun, they aren't big and stable or very fast, they will tow a skier or ringo are easy to work on and very reliable some issues on early 14's I would see what you can do to get a test ride on a few (worth paying £60 for an hour to make sure you buy the right ski)

I'm looking at a ski in Plymouth tomorrow morning, yamaha Waverunner xlt 800. Just to get more of an idea of what I can get for my money. Especially as it's meant to be super clean and comes with a new trailer. 

But I think I will do exactly as you have suggested and view/ trial/ or even higher a few if needed to see what I like and what will suit me. I was hoping to get ski's and towables too so I will need to look more into that. 

Just trying to way up what's going to be the most fun for the money. And whether it's best to spend more upfront on a more fuel efficient ski or get a cheaper ski and spend more on fuel extra. 

Tough one buta few facts you won't avoid

1: it will be more hassle and cost than you ever imagined possible....

2: there is no such thing as a fuel efficient ski.....

3: towing other people about gets boring 

Just do not buy without a water test (ridden  full throttle on water, hose pipe does not count).

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-vehicles/yamaha-vx-cruiser-2013-jet-ski/1226034361

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Sea-Doo-Spark-2Up-60hp-2017-Model-Watercraft-Jetski-Colour-Options-/131937012449?hash=item1eb80f0ae1:g:~40AAOSwa~BYPs~j

Edited by HDAV

Thanks again.... Learning fast! Those sites are also very useful having a good look through those. 

I think you're first two points sum it up really. Sadly it all comes down to the money really. (still hope my lottery numbers come up)

Max budget for everything is £4500 really and I need a towbar that's around £500. So I know im really close to the limit.  I don't want a stack of shit that's un reliable and spends most of the year in bits, looking for a fun for me and a few friends for the summer. Also don't want to be spending any more than £100 a day. So things aren't looking good at the moment. Quicly realising how much is adding up. Especially considering getting to the beach/ launch and back which is again more cost. 

I'm going to crunch some numbers tomorrow, but any cost saving tips or any examples of how much set ups have cost would be really useful. 

Thanks again! 

Towbar shouldn't cost £500 unless car is exotic or you want a fancy detachable one.

your best bet is finding a local launch and going along, much better value buying private , and plenty of skis are abpvailable but not advertised.

insurance is probably £150-250 depending on ski and storage arrangements so needs to be factored in, 

£4K should get you a tidy reliable ski, but your buying at the peak. Don't go supercharged and stick with 4 stroke the seadoo 4tec is a good motor and reliable if maintained.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kayaks-jet-skis/seadoo-gtx-ltd/1229200626

Edited by HDAV

Tad more reassured reading your last message. Beginning to worry a ski is out of my budget the more I look into things. 

Going to do some more digging tomorrow and see what Skis are about. And crunch some numbers. 

Thanks again for the messages. Great to get some information from people in the know! 

There is a Yamaha xl 1200 for sale near bath for £1800 to give you some idea when your looking tomorrow, not much other detail. Could be a money pit or bargain......

its on facebook on jet skis and jet ski part for sale group

Hello, back again after a days viewing, online shopping and researching....

Another very interesting day. I went to view the 2 stroke yamaha ski and look around the show room at the new sparks.

The used skis where in mint condition to be honest, but even the shop owner advised a 4 stroke and highlighted the many advantages of the high power spark... but with a list price of £7409 and from my searching today few used examples for less then £5500 this is defiantly out of my budget. The shop was very helpful! 

However! I have found a good looking SEADOO GTX Wake - 2005 within my budget. Looking at the spec http://www.personalwatercraft.com/specs/sea-doo/3-4-passenger/2005/gtx/wake/detail.html it is 4 stroke and is not turbo or supercharged as recommended.

I have called the owner for the details and they have confirmed that they have owned the ski from new and that it has full service history, and 200 hours on the clock. They have also confirmed that I can take it out for a spin next weekend.

Am I right in thinking 200 hours is a reasonable amount? anything i need to know about this particular ski? what should I look for when viewing?   

As always any more help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Jon G said:

Hello, back again after a days viewing, online shopping and researching....

Another very interesting day. I went to view the 2 stroke yamaha ski and look around the show room at the new sparks.

The used skis where in mint condition to be honest, but even the shop owner advised a 4 stroke and highlighted the many advantages of the high power spark... but with a list price of £7409 and from my searching today few used examples for less then £5500 this is defiantly out of my budget. The shop was very helpful! 

However! I have found a good looking SEADOO GTX Wake - 2005 within my budget. Looking at the spec http://www.personalwatercraft.com/specs/sea-doo/3-4-passenger/2005/gtx/wake/detail.html it is 4 stroke and is not turbo or supercharged as recommended.

I have called the owner for the details and they have confirmed that they have owned the ski from new and that it has full service history, and 200 hours on the clock. They have also confirmed that I can take it out for a spin next weekend.

Am I right in thinking 200 hours is a reasonable amount? anything i need to know about this particular ski? what should I look for when viewing?   

As always any more help would be greatly appreciated. 

200 is ok lots of skis in uk don't do the big hours that skis elsewhere do (Florida etc) more important it's been serviced and look after than the hours the NA 4tec is pretty reliable as long as oil filter plugs and coolant are all changed on spec (annual) and maintanece on the pump is done (don't have a seadoo but the pemp does need some oil from time to time check the BRP site for manual for that year and check. Nice skis a compression test would be nice as low / uneven compression means a rebuild and not cheap. Perfect ski for towing a mate has a gtx on 300 odd hours and he (a mechanic by trade) doesn't spend much Time spannering it at all.

Thanks again for the comment!

From what I understand the servicing has been carried out on a regular routine. But I will look at the paperwork when I have a look.  Good to hear that your mate has got one and it has served him well. 

How do you check the compression of a ski? 

Compression test is easy it's compression tester in spark plug hole and crank motor (hold throttle full on most to stop firing) but check for the model as some have a procedure to prevent damage to the coils (coil packs aren't cheap!)

4 tec needs an adaptor to do compression test video of process on a supercharged 4 tec (NA will be the same process but different compression)

Edited by HDAV

With is the GTX wake see below, there is an issue with the exhaust valves snapping but mainly on the Supercharged ones (ask if the exhaust valves have been upgraded)

http://seadoomanuals.net/download/pdf/service/manuals/2005/2005-seadoo-4-tech-shop-manual.pdf

http://seadoomanuals.net/download/pdf/service/manuals/2005/2005-seadoo-rotax-1503-4-tech-shop-manual.pdf

I think compression on the NA should be around 155 Psi from the factory (depends on atmospheric pressure) more important is that its even across the 3 pots.

The only other weak point is the carbon ring that seals the driveshaft these go hard and let water in not a massive job to change and if its been done recently all the better. Skis don't generally do 200+ hours if they havent been maintained. If maintained by a local dealer then give them a call also and ask if anything was flagged on last service as needing to be done.

HAve a read here: http://www.pwp.org.uk/recreational/second-hand-buyers-guide/

How much is the wake? ive had a 155 gtx with ski pole, essentially the same thing before, 321hrs i think, cost me £1700... I had a 3up spark brand new, great ski, i sold it as i felt it was too much money to be in a toy at near £7k.. if id of gone for the entry level at £5k though i probably would've kept that. Remap the entry level spark and your running 110hp and its quick. The 3up wake is good if your towing but its a barge compared with a yam gp or spark.. 2strokes can be a pain.. buying a 2nd hand used ski will always have an element of risk, so id keep some cash back just incase if you do go down that route.. I  honestly think spark is your best option, and they seem to hold their value extremely well should you decide to go to something else :) 

Definitely a bargain that Jay.... If I found one for that price it would make things alot easier.

Seen a few... 2004 for 3K not to far away from me and a 2005 near London for 3.5k and another 2005 for around the 4k I think. Really like the look of this type of ski but will need to check the maintenance, compressions ect when I view. 

What was the fuel cost like on yours Jay? 

Still keeping my eyes open for a spark. And a remap is a good idea. Not thought of that. 

It was a bargain, it was a little tired and had the steering tabs removed which made turning terrible, be aware of that as its quite common i believe. They're a solid ski the gtx, get some massive hours on them, i seen 900, 1000hrs no issues on the USA forums. Fuel was alright on it yeh, the spark was soo much more fun though, i actually preferred to tow with the spark too as the touring mode made throttle feathering a lot smoother 

27 minutes ago, jay said:

, i actually preferred to tow with the spark too as the touring mode made throttle feathering a lot smoother 

Heard a few people say they prefer the spark to larger skis for towing. 

You could buy a base 60 2 up then remap and add a secondhand rear deck extension and seat? to make a 3 up, hey just bolt on. All you miss is GPS speedo and ibr I think

few sparks on eBay right now, worth keeping an eye on.... especially if local

Edited by HDAV