Epic81

Yamaha 1200 xl 1998

Hi there all , I'm new here . I am looking for a used ski and have come across a yamaha 1200xl 1998. It looks to be in a1 condition and have yet to see it in person  it has been flushed and washed and siliconed sprayed after every use and has had oil and spark plug changed and has a new battery . I have been told it has done 90 hours . Is this somerhing to look at or look for something different .

Hi an welcome.

good ski solid motors, 90 hours isn't a lot it's nearly 20 years old. Compression is king on these so compression test the motor and ideally wyater test it to. Water test is a good run on lake or sea for 20 min upto running temp, make sure it starts idles and runs in e water stops and restarts when warm and has the right power and gets up to full speed, not running on a hose on dry land.

Rebuilds aren't cheap and it it's sat for long periods without properly being prepped it may well have hidden issues and need some serious work. 

Its a 2 stroke motor so oil change isn't required, check the details has it been modified to pre-mix or still running oil injection? Oil pumps can fail and cause major engine damage also check if it's a power valve motor (not sure for that year)  as these can break there are clips available (wave eater) to stop the bits damaging the engine engine 

a lot depends on price and your mechanical ability the above may put you right off or make total sense and seem straightforward 

every ski for sale has been " flushed, washed and waxed after ever use"

worth watching if your not familiar with the ski

Edited by HDAV

Thanks hdav.  From what I know it's totally standard . And what you have explained makes total sense lol but daunting at the same time . What would something be worth at this age etc .

532191865.jpg

IMG_7389.jpg

532191831.jpg

Looks clean but impossible to tell from pictures, it's worth what you want to pay for it really, tough to find a running Yamaha under £2k that doesn't need work, doesn't mean paying £2k won't land you a £1000+ bill within a month. However the nozzle at the back looks odd, might be the photo but doesn't look quite right to me ?

maybe go back a step to why you want a ski want will you use it for for and where. Also now prices are getting to their lowest as many people won't be out till the spring and want the garage space etc. Come spring prices being asked creep back up again.... what will you do if you buy it now? Ride it, store it, rebuild it?

Edited by HDAV

He said he is willing for me to run it with a water line connected but not out on water , so that's a shame and a wounder why. He said he had to replace the choke cable 2 years ago as it was sticking and he said it has started to stick again  . 

Edited by Epic81

If you don't know what your looking at then I would stay clear it could turn out to be a bargain but probably not.... and that nozzle is weird they should narrow slightly at the tip not seen one that was a plain circle before? Those wedges in the corner are really odd as it being straight diameter.

https://goo.gl/images/Nc6tgB

nozzle and steering looks like it was off a much older machine 95 wave venture?

Edited by HDAV

Nozzle seems right for that age of ski the later ones have different nozzle I know a mates xl800 same ski smaller motor had round nozzle. £1800 may not be bad price but I would certainly compression test it before parting with any money. Where about are you?

its got a colwyn bay club sticker on it so should be able to water test it there

also the chokes are crappy on these so a lot of people fit an aftermarket primer kit  https://rivaracing.com/i-17284792-riva-primer-kit-triple-carburetors.html

Edited by HDAV